Advance Care Planning is about planning ahead for you future healthcare, in case you are ever too sick to speak for yourself.

Advance Care Planning is considering:

Decide who you would want to speak for you.

  • Who would you want to make medical decisions on your behalf if you were unable to do this yourself?
  •  You can legally appoint someone you trust to make medical decisions for you if you are unable to make decisions for yourself. This person/s would be known as a Medical Treatment Decision Maker.

What would you want them to say?

  • Think about your values and beliefs that are important in your life.
  • Think about your current health and possible future health problems

We suggest you write down your wishes.

  • On a special form called an Advance Care Directive.
  • This is to ensure everyone is clear regarding your decisions, values and beliefs.

You may want to download the Advance Care Directive and Medical Treatment Decision Maker Forms and start the process yourself or can contact the ACP service directly for assistance and information on: Telephone: 9955 1276 Email enquiries:  [email protected]

Frequently asked questions

An advance care plan may include one or all of the following:

  • Appointment of a Medical Enduring Power of Attorney
  • Documentation of your wishes regarding specific medical treatment.
  • A refusal of treatment certificate relating to a current medical condition.
  • Discussion with family and significant others including your doctor about your wishes.


An advance care plan gives you the opportunity to record ahead of time, your health treatment choices. When you are unable to speak for yourself your advance care plan will speak for you and assist those involved in making healthcare decisions.

Whilst you are still capable of discussing your healthcare with your doctors, your advance care plan will not be used. It is only used when you are unable to communicate your own decisions or lose the ability to make decisions due to dementia or some other condition.

In the state of Victoria you do not require a lawyer to compete an advance care plan. A doctor or a ‘Respecting Patient Choices Facilitator’ can help you complete your plan. Contact this office to find out how we can assist.

You can change your advance care plan at any time whilst you are still legally able to make your own medical decisions. You can cancel the documents by destroying them, or write a new plan which will automatically override any previous plans. It is important to inform others that you have made changes.

Address 251 Mountain Highway, Wantirna, 3142

P: 9955 1276

F (03) 9955 7518

E: [email protected]