The clinic accepts referrals for initial assessment for plastic surgery, hand, reconstructive surgery including skin cancers, burns and management of fractured fingers. Urgent, semi-urgent and elective surgery is performed. Paediatric referrals are welcomed.
Eastern Health provides this service at Eastern Health Box Hill and Eastern Health Maroondah.
Information is available on HealthPathways Melbourne for assistance in managing your patient’s condition. This includes what investigations you need to perform prior to referring to a specialist and what information you need to include in the referral. If you require login access to HealthPathways, contact [email protected].
For conditions listed below, refer to the Statewide Referral Criteria for Specialist Clinics:
- Carpal tunnel and other nerve compression syndromes
- Dupuytren’s contracture
- Hand fractures and infections
- Skin lesions and other skin cancers
- Stenosing tenosynovitis including trigger finger
All referrals are triaged and waiting times for non-urgent appointments is several months. Suspected malignancies and trauma patients are given priority. The clinic provides a hand therapy service.
For referrals regarding:
- Breast reduction – Patients with a BMI <30 will be assessed but the waiting list for this procedure is very long.
- Lesions – In order to ensure that we have assessed and triaged the referral of lesions appropriately, could you please organize a biopsy of the area and forward the results to us as soon as possible. This will enable us to ensure your patient is seen in a timely manner in accordance with these biopsy results and further treatment organized promptly as required.
If your patient’s condition deteriorates, please send an updated referral via HealthLink SmartForms selecting the Referral Continuation “Amended referral/update previously sent referral” with additional clinical information.
Emergency cases should be sent to the Emergency Department.