When Eastern Health Foundation reached out to our local community to support our frontline medical teams, we never expected such an overwhelming response from so many people.
Supporters of the Eastern Health Agility Response Fund, launched in March, continue to give our medical heroes an extra dose of appreciation in these challenging COVID-19 times.
“We received so many beautiful words of encouragement – it touched us deeply,” says Jason Smith, Director, Eastern Health Foundation.
ICU, Emergency and COVID-19 wards receive new equipment
Donations raised so far have been immediately assigned to urgent lifesaving equipment, including:
- Three video laryngoscopes - a device to help doctors insert breathing tubes for patients who require ventilation (Box Hill Hospital and Maroondah Hospital)
- 16 vital signs monitors - to provide 24/7 monitoring of heart rate and breathing function (Box Hill Hospital)
- 18 iPads and iPod touches - to facilitate communication between patients who are isolated due to COVID-19 with their friends and family who are restricted from visiting (Intensive Care)
(as at 1 May 2020)
"At times like this, your support means the world to our doctors, nurses and allied health staff. Thank you!" says Dr John Dyett, Intensive Care Specialist, pictured with equipment funded by Agility Response Fund donors.
The fight isnt over
Additional equipment still urgently needed by our frontline health workers includes:
$51,724 for two more video laryngoscopes in our emergency departments – to help doctors insert breathing tubes;
- $65,400 for two portable transport ventilators – to provide life support for people with critical lung failure;
- $262,840 for two heart lung bypass machines - for patients with critical heart and / or lung failure, if traditional ventilation with a breathing tube is not enough.
(as at 1 May 2020)
"I know that many people are under financial, emotional and even physical constraints at this time", says Jason. "But our health workers are facing difficult challenges each day, and every dollar raised helps them know they are not alone."
Every dollar you give will directly support frontline medical staff - there are no administration fees.
"Thank you for giving our medical heroes the equipment and resources they need to continue the fight against coronavirus," says Jason. “We are immensely grateful.’