Volunteer with Eastern Health
Please note Volunteer Services will cease recruitment of new volunteers for 2019 on Friday 22nd November and commence for 2020 on Monday 3rd February. 2019 applications received prior to this date will continue to be processed. Applicants interested in applying for a volunteer role after this date should do so in February 2020.
Eastern Health is grateful for the support and ongoing commitment of the many volunteers who give their time to our health service and its patients and families. It is committed to providing a workplace culture and environment where inclusion and diversity are respected.
The organisation is fortunate to have a large number of dedicated volunteers who assist in delivering Eastern Health’s vision to provide ‘Great care, everywhere, every time’. Our volunteer program allows us to maintain vital links with our community. Many of our volunteers live locally and have directly experienced Eastern Health’s care, either as a patient or family member.
With a diversity of programs, volunteers are able to assist in enhancing the patient experience. It is through their continued commitment that we are able to provide extra support that really makes a difference.
People volunteer for reasons which include wanting to:
- Give back to the community
- Connect with others and improve social ties
- Experience new challenges and develop new skills
- Interact with different cultures
- Achieve a sense of purpose
What is expected of our volunteers?
- Follow Eastern Health values: Kindness, Respect, Excellence, Agility, Humility
- Genuinely want to help improve the experience of our patients and their loved ones
- Respect diversity in patients, visitors, staff and volunteers
- Respect patients' and families' privacy and confidentiality
- Work within strict professional boundaries
- Be well presented
- Be kind, caring, enthusiastic, and willing to help
- Work as part of a team
- Be punctual, reliable and inform us of any absences
- Keep us updated with any changes in availability or contact details
- Complete mandatory online orientation and training prior to commencement.
- In addition comply with yearly mandatory training requirements.
Eastern Health invests time in our volunteers providing orientation, training, support and guidance. Therefore, a prerequisite to apply for a volunteer position is a minimum 12 month commitment and the ability to attend a 3-4 hour shift weekly or fortnightly.
Unfortunately short term involvement is unavailable. Our department cannot offer work experience or student placements.
To commence the process to apply to become a volunteer you will be required to:
- Be over 18 years of age
- Be able to commit to a minimum of 12 months and be able to attend regular shifts
- Complete a Volunteer Application Form (link below)
- Attend an interview
- Complete a Statutory Declaration and provide 4 approved forms of ID
- Undergo a police check
- Provide two referees
- Complete mandatory online orientation and training prior to commencement
- Complete annual mandatory online training as required
- Sign and agree to our Confidentiality Agreement/Code of Conduct
- Provide a Working With Children Check (some roles only)
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged to apply.
Contact The Volunteer Team