Mental Health Nurse Graduate Program
Let us give you the facts about our Eastern Health graduate program in nursing to help you make the right decision for your graduate year.
We are a health service focused on our patients and our staff and we pride ourselves on excellence in health care.
Our practice development team and clinical staff offer extensive support and a tailored graduate program for you to develop as a registered nurse in a range of clinical areas.
As part of this program the graduate nurse will receive a minimum of 15 study days, supernumery time at each rotation and receive training in mandatory components of mental health prior to clinical commencement.
As part of the Eastern Health Mental Health Graduate Nurse Program, each graduate will have 3 rotations, which may include rotations to other Eastern Health hospitals including Box Hill Hospital, Peter James Centre, and Maroondah Hospital.
Back to top
Box Hill Hospital
- is the largest acute hospital in the service and is located in Box Hill. Services include but are not limited to: emergency, general and specialist medical and surgical, intensive care, mental health, maternity services. A new hospital redevelopment is in progress on site.
- is the acute hospital located in Ringwood and offering emergency, general and specialist medical and surgical services, critical care, and mental health services.
Peter James Centre
- Rehabilitation and aged care services to people following illness or surgery or who have disabilities or chronic and / or mental illness.
Eastern Health’s mission is to provide positive health experiences for people and communities in the East.
We have five strategic directions to achieve our mission:
- A Provider of Great Healthcare
- A Great Patient Experience
- A Great Place to Learn and Work
- A Great Partner with our Communities
- A Great Achiever in Sustainability
We also are committed to our values of:
Back to top
Pay, Conditions and Benefits
Our Graduate Programs offer the following benefits and opportunities:
- A structured transitional education program inclusive of paid study days (above award entitlements)
- Dedicated Nurse Educators at all sites
- Preceptor Support
- Clinical Rotations- Not limited to your home site
- Opportunities within specialty areas
- Comprehensive orientation
- Supernumerary time when commencing in a new area
- Ongoing feedback and performance review
- Access to a broad range of organisational education, training and professional development opportunities
- Honours Program (where applicable) with academic support provide through the Eastern Health Research Unit
- Consideration of part time employment (4 days/week)
All nurses employed within Victorian Public Hospitals work under the Victorian Nurses Award, so pay rates and conditions are the same across the state.
Accrued days off (ADO)
Full time employees will accrue 4 ADO hours every fortnight. This results in you accruing enough hours in a one month period to have one extra paid day off per roster.
Full time employees will accrue 6 weeks leave during your graduation year and this leave must be taken over the course of the year.
Effective salary packaging means that you can increase your take-home salary by thousands of dollars each year by reducing the amount of tax you pay each fortnight. Whether you are full-time, part-time or casual, you can nominate to salary package up to $9,095 of your income each year, tax free towards your everyday living expenses
EAP is a completely confidential counselling service available to Eastern Health employees and their immediate families. This is a free service for staff to access to discuss any issues whether they be personal or professional.
Link to: http://www.easternhealth.org.au/careers/whywork.aspx
Back to top
Beyond your graduation year
On completion of your transition year there are excellent opportunities to progress your career with Eastern Health.
Employees are supported with study leave, financial assistance, access to clinical educators and supervision.
Transitional programs -Career development pathways exist across all speciality fields with supported and structured programs with the option of Post Graduate studies.
Eastern Health is affiliated with a number of tertiary education providers and has a Nursing Chair with Deakin University.
Link to: http://www.easternhealth.org.au/careers/pduprograms.aspx
Back to top